Ghana jollof rice is a popular West African dish, made by cooking rice in tomato sauce and hot spices. The term “Jollof” refers to the method of preparation, which involves slow-cooking the ingredients until they are tender. The traditional recipe for Ghana jollof rice calls for chicken or beef stock as well as tomatoes and onions, along with bell peppers and carrots. Chicken or beef can be added to make it a meat dish; however, vegetarian varieties are egg and fish.
- 3 Cups of Rice
- Chicken or meat
- 5 Large sized tomatoes
- 3 Tablespoons of tomato puree
- Cooking oil
- 2 Large Onion
- 1 Clove of garlic
- 1 Tsp of ground ginger
- 4 Small green peppers
- 3 Chili peppers
- Curry powder
- shrimp cubes
- green bell pepper
- green peas
So lets steam and prepare our chicken or meat
- Wash the chicken
- Season your chicken with salt, blended garlic, onion and ginger
- Steam the chicken for about 15 minutes
- Allow the chicken to cool down for a few minutes
- Pour oil into your frypan and add some onion before adding your chicken
- Fry the chicken until its well fried
- Once the chicken is done, remove it from the oil and strain
- Set aside
How To Prepare Ghana Jollof Rice
The following are steps on How To Prepare Ghana Jollof Rice;
- Pour the oil into a saucepan
- Once the temperature of the oil increases, add sliced onions, diced garlic and sliced small green peppers to the oil
- Once the onion begins to brown a little, add the tomato puree and stir
- Add blended fresh tomato and chili
- Allow to simmer until the water in the tomatoes begin to dry
- Add your spices( cloves, maggi, thyme and any of your favourite)
- Wait for the stew to foam after which you add chicken stock; add a little more water if the chicken stock is not enough to cook the rice.
- Taste for salt and adjust as required
- Add the rice to the jollof stock you have prepared and reduce the heat.
- Allow it to simmer on low heat
- After a few minutes, add the veggies to the rice and cover with a foil or a clean napkin before covering with the lid
- Allow to simmer until the rice is cooked.
- One the rice is cooked, your Jollof is ready.
- Serve with chicken on the side
Thank You for reading this post from Latest Ghana as online entertainment and news portal from Ghana. Don’t forget to recommend our site, Latest Ghana to your friends and family who might also profit from the information on our website and check out our other articles because we have more information to bring to you via your devices.
I believe you have any comments or suggestions to drop about this article, kindly make use of the comment box below and reach us for more discussion.
Latest Ghana is on the mission to promote anything latest from Ghana; Latest Entertainment News, General News, Sports, Insurance, Banks, Mortgage, Farming, Scholarship, Education and Schools Admission, Product pricing, Food, Fashion, Health, Business and more.